With all the natural disasters that are happening in the world (I mean, have you counted how many earthquakes have happened in just the past month?), I have felt prompted to get my family's seventy-two hour kits together. Getting these kits together was my New Year's resolution as well, but I got stuck wondering what we needed, and the food became such an issue for me.
Well, I took a class at our local Preparedness store, and the teacher got me going. So after a trip to the Army Surplus Store and a few other essentials, we were able to get our backpacks at least started tonight. The best thing I learned from that class is that an 72 hour kit in Idaho had better be 2/3's devoted to warmth. He said that one of the best items to pack would be a good stocking cap, and even better than that would be one that you could cover your face with--makes sense, right? Where do you lose most of your body heat? Your head! What are the first body parts to get frost bitten? Your ears and nose! So, just so you don't think I'm joking...here's the proof!
Can you believe that we got Emma to put that on? I couldn't bring myself to buy black masks- we look like bank robbers as it is!
As we were gathering the items that we needed tonight, I heard Jake refer to out kits as our "Safety-two hour kits" intead of our "Seventy two hour kits". I can understand how someone could mix up the two...and I didn't even bother to correct him; his term has kind of grown on me.
If you might be looking for a quick link to get started yourself, check here :
It will at least give you some good starting ideas.
Remember "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear".
2 comments:
Maybe you could keep the tags on the face masks to double as fire building suppies!! I am sure that is what you were thinking!!
No - She's going to return them just in case nothing ever happens! Just kidding Stacey - Good job - I might just pick some up for our family. (Next time I am at the Army Surplus Store, that is) My basement grocery store is growing though!
Post a Comment