Sunday, July 11, 2010

Island Park 2010

We are home from our Maughan Family Reunion and we've been talking for the past few days about all the fun that we had. It is so great to have a place where we can gather with all the Maughan family, there are only a few places that accomadate all of us, and we love being with everyone.

Some of our favorites were:

*sleeping in the bunkroom -18 kids in one room makes for nights of fun playing DSI (extra large), listening to Ipods, and MP3 players. Luckily parents are smart enough to get the kids in bed early enough that all this can happen.

*eating GOOD food! and too much of it too. Thanks Jen for the excellent ribs and the wonderful chocolate cake (I still need recipes for the cake and the BBQ sauce). Quesidilla's and Hawaiin haystacks are always crowd pleasures as well as Uncle Steve'e crepes--YUM! And we didn't even leave the fridges full this year!

*We loved Maughan family church!! Thanks for the singing and the stories.

*A great fireworks show--you can't have better seats than the grounds at Lakeside Lodge. We're just glad we didn't catch on fire when the one mistake exploded on the ground!

*Survivor, Survivor, Survivor--way to go White Out, Yellow Jaborwakies, Blue Karate and Red Dragons!! I was amazed at how competitive you all really are--but what fun. Sorry about my vidoe recording and missing the action with the sponge toss and run! I really did watch almost the whole thing through the camera, just didn't know it wasn't running!




Jake sure liked getting wet from the sponge too, but Josh's favorite was winding up the string.

the kids in front sure were wet, those in the back, sure were muddy!















I haven't ever seen anyone move so fast through that course as Todd.













Bret was quite ingenious (or was that Bob's idea) to lift up his fire with his bare hands - I hope we don't have any kids try that later!!














And the strategy of the log roll--if only Steven could really float in the air--for just one little second. (Just for the record, has anyone else seen Rob celebrate like that before?)





And kids are definetely better at finding things in the woods!! thanks Buffi for being a good sport and playing while pregnant.

*Lesson learned--and when you go to Big Springs...be sure to NOT to wear flip flops--I have 13 mosquito bites on my feet, around my ankles and on my toes!! This could probably be blamed a bit on Emma who, when we decided to walk the path back to John Sacks cabin, decided half way that she would go no further, sat down in the middle of the path and threw a really great 3-year-old tantrum. Try as I might, I could not get to her to move, so as I patiently (can you hear my sarcasm) waited for her to get done, the mosquitoes moved in on my feet!

*we've laughed at Kurtis' lunch concoction...a macaroni & cheese sandwich with chips included inside the sandwich!

*I love seeing Jen in her apron--so cute and what a novel idea to stay clean. I think I'm going to have to adopt the idea!

*Rachael was such a cute babysitter. I loved seeing her try to help Emma with her dinner and trying to eat it all. Also, she was so helpful for the little ones--she entertained Zach while we were cleaning. Buffi, she is going to be one great helper!

Thanks so much for all your efforts to get there. Most of you had to drive lots farther than us. We were so glad to see you and that you came. Looking forward to next time!! Here's looking forward to Survivor Island Park 2012 when we are all two years older and wiser too.

0 comments: