I love the words to this song...
Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad, and made someone feel glad?
If not I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more,
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.
One of the speakers in church on Sunday quoted it (and the second verse, which is just as good as the first), and I have found myself humming it all week. One of the reasons that I love it, is that is doesn't suggest doing some monumental task, that would be well out of my reach at this point in my life. It suggests cheering someone who might need it, whether that is one of my kids, or my neighbor, or the cashier who is helping me, or the person behind me in line at the store. How often do I see someone who is "weary" in one way or another, and how easy is it to help lighten their load--if only doing one small thing, like taking their grocery cart back, or opening a door. How much time does it take to sincerely compliment someone, and brighten their day? I'm reminded of the wonderful people who served me when I had Leah, by bringing meals, or just a plate of cookies. I don't always have the time or energy to do everything I would like to help those that I know, but if I can get in the habit of doing small acts of service now, I hope it will be easier to do some of the bigger things later. Truly, doing good is a pleasure, a joy, and a blessing!
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Have I Done Any Good?
Posted by Stacey at 3:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
You make me cry--what a sweet thought! (But then I cry at just about everything)
Mom
Post a Comment