Melissa asked for it, I bet once I get started, I won't be able to stop...
We've recently re-discovered the library and we've been going...alot. We've found that Emma and Leah will watch Little Einstein's--the library has all the DVD's, Josh and Jake have discovered the entire row of Berenstein Bears books (did you know they really do have good lessons to learn in these books? Who would have thunk it?), and Annie, well, she's into dragons and such--there's alot of those out right now. I have picked up the AR lists at the library, and I always pick up the library storytime lists (they have the best books for the kids--i can't go anymore, do you know how packed that place is, especially in the middle of winter in Idaho?), and I've compiled a little list of my own from the internet and book orders and such. I pick up a few of those book every time and "sneak" them into Josh and Jake's piles--they know I pick out the best books. And I have never seen such a collection of board books--books for Leah, and Emma without the stress of ripped, bent or colored pages!!
So, Melissa asked me to share some of our favorites...here they are...
The Bear books...Bear Snores On, Bear Wants More, etc... by Karma Wilson. I love the pictures, and the rhyming words. There's always a little repetitive section and if I tell Emma what to listen for, she can finish the sentences. Love, Love Love these.
Splat Cat, by Rob Scotton. Also a series, new one for us. Cute pictures, and entertaining for kids.
Little Quack by Lauren Thompson. Lots of these also--including board books. These are Emma & Leah's new favorites. There's ABC, colors, etc... or the story ones to read. She is also one of our go-to authors.
Skippy Jon Jones by Judy Schachner. I think there are 4 out now, and just found the board book versions too. Jon thinks these are stupid; I think they are hilarious. If you can get the right spanish accent going, and get into the little chants and such, your kids will be rolling on the floor laughing with you. (Lost in Spice is the newest one, not the best--go for the others).
Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer. So, so many of these. We read these enough that my kids memorize them before they can read.
If you give a mouse a cookie by Laura Numeroff. We love all of the books by this author. (pig a pancake, moose a muffin, etc).
Hand, Hand Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins
Hugs and Kisses by Christopher Loupy/Eve Tharlet--cute animals
Duck On A Bike by David Shannon (let it be known that I hate his other books--The No David's)
A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee by Chris Van Dusen--again I like rhyming books
Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Some of our go-to authors are:
Jane Yolen...she has a great dinosaur series out--How do dinoaurs...say I love you , go to school, play with their friends and more.
Mark Teague...he illustrated the dinosaur ones above, but also writes...Some of his books are Funny Farm, Baby Tamer, Lost & Found, How I Spent My Summer Vacation
Margie Palatini...Mooseltoe, Moosekitoes, Gorgonzola, etc...lighthearted fun books
Robert Munsch...The paper bag princess is a must! These are cute & silly stories that my kids love to read because they are silly, but they have lessons in them that maybe someday they will understand.
I also stumbled upon this list on a blog and I've added them to our library lists. All the ones we've tried are winners--but might be better for school age kids (maybe 2nd-3rd grades?). Check it out anyway...
http://simplemom.net/10-picture-books-that-teach-important-life-lessons
http://simplemom.net/gift-giving-traditions/
So, if you can't tell, I keep a list of books and authors with our library cards--yes, my kids all have their own cards--they feel so responsible--because the library is always having give-aways. Right now they track the books the elementary students are reading and will award prizes to the school with the most books read (1st prize is $1500). We are doing our best! Summer reading is awesome too--I just have to stay committed to using the prizes!!
Sorry for the GIANT post, told you once I got started... Let us know some of your favorite books--we are always looking for new ones to try!
Friday, January 7, 2011
Book, books, books...
Posted by Stacey at 1:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"I love you stinky face" is one of James' favorite and there are 3 or 4 books in the series, and Grant totally loves the 39 clues series.
Post a Comment