Sunday, August 9, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Today, my parents celebrate their 35th wedding Anniversary. THIRTY-FIVE YEARS--that seems like such a long time to me! I was rembering something that happened to Jon and I just 10 years ago, and that seems like such a long time--I can't even think of thirty five years. But...I wanted to take a minute and applaud and admire my parents. Marriage is not always an easy thing (as all of us who are married know). To make is so long, and make it look pretty easy is a GREAT thing.

I know my parents haven't always had it easy, but I appreciate them and their example for sticking it out---all those years of traveling sales to Rock Springs, and Evanston, with mom never knowing how to fix the freezer till Dad came home to do it on the weekend. Here's to seeing them kiss in the kitchen, hugging over by the dishwasher, when they didn't think we were watching and Dad swinging his hips, trying to get mom to dance with him, although I think the roles were reversed sometimes too...all the wedding anniversaries celebrated up at Redfish Lake so we never missed out on our family camping trip, making it through 5 daughters (who knew kids could strain a marriage?!), and many more fond memories. I love to hear their stories of when they were little and Dad threw rocks at Mom, or look at their high school dance pictures--especially the one where he has a black eye. I love it that my mom keeps a picture of my Dad posed just so, dressed up in his tux, holding a red rose. And when mom came to Education Week I couldn't believe how many times he called her. As they have endured their struggles through the years, I have loved seeing them take care of each other too.

When Dad decided to try and do a blog, he talked mom into posting their yearbook picture on it...She says it beautifully....

"Your dad wanted this photo on our blog--I think because this is where we started nearly 36 years ago. And now, here we are "2 Walls Left Standing" again. Love is an amazing, powerful thing. I have been blessed to have been deeply loved for all of these years. The closeness of our relationship has ebbed and flowed over the years, but I have always been able to count on your dad's love. He makes me laugh. Sometimes he makes me cry. But I have always known that he loves me. Everyone should be so lucky!"

Here's to you Mom and Dad--going strong after 35 years of marriage together--and here's to many more!! May the rest of us be so lucky!

3 comments:

Susan Wall said...

Thanks Stacey--you made me cry. You are my favorite daughter today.

Miranda said...

still her favorite daughter three days later - she told me today on the phone...

Marisa said...

Congrats Susan and Curtis. I LOVE the picture! If you can make it through raising Stacey and her crazy friends, you can make it through anything:)