Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Happy Place


Do you have a "happy place" that you can go to in your head when you need to get away? Ever since my teenage years, I have had the same "Happy Place" that I can go to whenever I need to. Most people would probably imagine a nice warm beach, sand in your toes, the sound of relaxing waves...well, not me. My happy place is Redfish Lake! And I'm lucky enough to have just gotten home from my real, live Happy Place!

Ever since I can remember, and before that too, my family has visited Redfish Lake. I remember it when there weren't many people, and I still love it now that it has been "discovered". Every year when I was a kid, we slept in our tent--the whole family, on the ground, on blow up water mattresses, and on cots. Now, I make my husband rent our family a trailer. Any way we go, I still love it. I remember playing on the beach for hours on end, floating the outlet, riding bikes, wading the log jam, visiting the store and the lodge, falling off the dock, catching my first fish, swimming to the rock, and the big log in the lake, sitting around the campfire, and being with great family.

And I get to go and do it all again every time with my own kids now. I still love riding our bikes in the evening to the store and getting a treat (usually the best ice cream bars that can be found); and then walking the dock--and not falling in anymore...I learned my lesson then I was a teenager and fully clothed, in my new pink LA Gears! I love going to the log jam, climbing, and wading and this year watching Annie and Matayia catching minnows. I loved playing in the lake--which Leah loved too. It didn't seem as cold this year, although I'm sure it was, but I was amazed at what a water bug Leah is, as she dragged me after her while holding onto my one finger for stability. Emma on the other hand was content to stay on the beach--mostly having her afternoon nap on the towels in the shade. I loved that my boys got to experience the fishing with Grandpa...they fished and fished, and caught all they wanted, and Josh even got to eat some for breakfast--after severe peer pressure! And it was great to see such excitement over pocket knives and willows to carve. I loved that we were safe in our trailer the night that the bears came through and tore about James' and Erin's cooler and our garbage sacks.

I think the very best part about going to Redfish Lake is that it rejuvenates my soul. When I stop and smell the air, or when I look at the endless number of stars and the Milky Way, it has a way of centering me. It reminds me who I am, where I came from, and what I really want my life to be. I appreciate the way that it gets me and my family to simplify our life. We are surrounded with so much noise and busyness in our lives and when the stream of activities is about to carry us away, I cannot explain how wonderful it is to step away, unplug, and know that all that is really important is right there with us. Time slows down at Redfish Lake. I can watch my kids be happy with just their imaginations, and their family. And I can just sit and be content to just be there.

I am grateful that I get to visit my Happy Place in real life. And I've come home from Redfish with a pocket full of memories to keep me content for the coming months. And when I feel like we're getting swept away in our river of life, I know I can imagine being in my Happy Place and I know I will be there again. Until next time!!

1 comments:

Moalee said...

It is a great "Happy Place", I'm so glad we got to experience it all together. There's nothing better than family and we have one of the best. Moalee