I love carving pumpkins. I think it came from the day when my dad would sit down to carve with us, and I would quiver with excitement when he would say, " I need a sharp knive", and he would let us use his really sharp pocket knives out of his softbox on his dresser. It's the only time I have actually cut myself bad enough to leave a scar--carving pumpkins with my dad's sharp pocket knife. (Anyone who knows my dad knows that he has a thing with sharp knives.)
I really hate cleaning out pumpkins though. I've been sly enough that my kids haven't caught on to my aversion and Jon has always helped them. They still like to clean them out, and then they draw the face they want and I carve it. Yeah, kind of sad, I carve all the pumkins. But it works for me, I get to use the sharp knives, and I get to make sure they look good, scary, happy, whatever the choice, which I can usually sway to my liking.
Until this year. Josh wanted to carve. and then Annie did, and even Jake. It was really hard for me to give up the control of making sure that the pumpkins looked just right. So in trying to compromise, I got to do the mouths--everyone knows how hard it is to cut out the mouths on your pumpkin without cutting out the teeth, right?!--and they got to cut the rest.
I didn't let them use the sharp knives though!! They got to use the little saw thing that comes in the packet that you buy with the pumpkins stencils. Works great on a pumpkin--guaranteed not to leave any scars!
0 comments:
Post a Comment