I always try to blame it on my mom. She didn't really like Halloween all that much, and so when I get excited about the decorations, or the pumpkin carving, or the crafts, or the COSTUMES I always attribute it to the lack of Halloween spirit when I was growing up. It probably isn't really true though. I think I'm ready to admit it. I just like it.
Especially the costumes...and I've put myself to the test with my somewhat inexperienced sewing skills. We don't usually buy costumes--well, only a few anyway. I kind of like the challenge of being creative and coming up with something. Besides it's a good fit for my sewing skills because a costume only needs to stay together and look good for a very short amount of time.
This year was almost a dealbreaker though. Annie--easy, poodle skirt, done. Josh--cell phone, one of the costumes that we actually bought one year. Emma--taken care of by Aunt Jill's princess dress up, thank you! Leah, she would have been the cutest bumblebee, but in the interest of time, ended up being the lady bug that has been recycled through the years.
That brings me to Jake. He doesn't usually ask for much, so when he asked to be a pirate this year, I was excited!!! I've been waiting to make one of these...and by darn, it was going to be awesome. I found a really cool pattern, but I wondered if I would be in a little over my head. Thank goodness mom came to visit one weekend and helped me with the sewing for the jacket!
I found pants at the D.I., hat, sword, and eyepatch at the local party shop, didn't have time to make the cool vest (fabric still in the bag), but I did make the boots to go with it.
There was the sash for his waist and the one tied around his head.
It was about the time that I was trying to finish the last boot for him to wear to school, (the night before he needed to wear it) that I finally admitted that I had become obsessed. So, I backed off a little, decided it wasn't a big deal that he didn't want to wear the shirt that I had planned for him, didn't even suggest drawing a mustache or some whiskers or any of the other cool things that I had thought of, and didn't even get mad when he LOST the eyepatch. He didn't win any prizes for being the coolest pirate, but I'm still happy with the way it turned out.
Guess what...I already excited for next year to make Leah and Emma into the cutest pirates... or maybe bumblebees. And I think Josh and Jake can be mummy/zombies. Wouldn't that be cool?
0 comments:
Post a Comment